Sunday, April 13, 2008

警卫小哥 and more

Does anyone still remember 警卫小哥 whom I wrote about in this entry? We finally made conversation! And to my great surprise, it was he who started off by asking me whether I had my lunch. It seemed like he's finally gotten used to me greeting him. The way he looks genuinely happy whenever we make eye contact makes my day brighter, too. It's a sense of having deeper humane connections with the people I meet around here, that they are not just door guards or duty officials, but that people I can connect with, albeit on a shallow level.

Interacting with these people through these couple of months brought about a self-realization - that I thrive off connecting with people. I used to think I'm not a people person, because I'm such a lone wolf (especially in school). Now I understand why I'm not entirely happy in school, because there's so little human connection, people whom I could have in-depth conversations with. I like to hear about thoughts and feelings and share my own. I've met people who are content with sharing their own thoughts, and I realize that I'm not that type. I don't like one-sided conversations, be it on my side or the other. I want exchange. And I think I found out that contrary to my own beliefs, I can actually reach out actively to people.

When Bryna commented a couple of times that I really have affinity with old(er) people, I start to wonder, because this idea, too, is very new to me. Before I came out, I wouldn't think I know how to talk to old folks.

Let's just call this a trip of self-discovery.