Wednesday, June 4, 2008

With the goodbyes looming in the horizon

I still cannot decide whether I like this place or not.

There are fake goods, conmen, mean cashiers and dry weather.
But then there are classmates who are oh, so nice. There are nice cheap consumer goods. There are really nice, cultured old people (the real 老北京 old folks).

My classmates being nice - maybe it had something to do with me being a foreign student. But then I haven't seen many Singaporeans being so friendly towards foreign students. Look at how we treat students from China and how Chinese students treat me - it makes me ashamed. Jieming was really right when he told me about how being a foreign student changes one's attitude towards foreign students in one's own country. I can now really empathize with what they feel.

Ah.

Anyway, I finished my last presentation in Beida! It was still mediocre, but I think I couldn't care much now. =p And I still think some of my classmates are regurgitating all of their research and not getting their points across. After I get back to NUS, I will do what we call 取其精华,去其糟粕- to extract the essence and abandon the dregs. I will learn their spirit of research and leave behind that draggy sort of presentation.

I can almost see Dunhuang waving at me already.

Buuuut there's still TWO more completely not-done papers and ONE exam paper to clear up! 加油吧大鱼!:p